Registered childminders

Childminders look after other people's children in their own home. They can provide flexible individual care in a home environment as well as linking with other services in your local community such as children centres, pre schools and schools. They can also take your child to local parks, playgrounds and libraries.

Childminders can offer flexible hours, part time or full time, term time and holidays, to suit you and your child's commitments and can look after children of all ages.

Childminders must be registered by Ofsted (Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills) if they look after children up to eight years old for more than two hours a day, in their own home for pay or reward.

This means they are inspected on a regular basis to make sure:

  • The care and learning they provide meets the Early Years Foundation Stage
  • They and their homes are safe and suitable
  • They and all adults (16 and over) in their house have an enhanced criminal record check (CRB)

How to find details of childcare in your area

Surrey Family Information Service hold details of registered childcare in Surrey. We receive this information from Ofsted and it is updated regularly to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Please contact us if you would like lists of childcare in your local area.

We also hold information on leisure activities, parent and toddler groups and local childcare providers (who have given their consent to appear on the internet) in our Family Information Directory.

If you live near the border of a neighbouring local authority you might like to contact their Family Information Service for details of childcare in their area.

The extended schools confederation for your child’s school will also have details of childcare, before and after school activities and holiday play schemes for their area.

    Upcoming Events